Post Abortion Care
Post-Abortive Stress Syndrome, also known as PASS, refers to the trauma and depression that some women who have undergone an abortion go through. These are very real psychological effects. Ignoring this trauma brings additional pressure to bear on women who are experiencing the negative effects of abortion, and can lead to further emotional or psychological issues. Susan Babbel, PhD, MFT, a psychologist specializing in trauma and depression comments, “No matter your philosophical, religious, or political views on abortion, the fact of the matter is, the actual experience (of abortion) can affect women not only on a personal level but can potentially have psychological repercussions.”
How do I know if I have PASS?
Here are symptoms, according to AbAnon’s The Power of Your Story
- Emotions, &/or emotional issues
- Anxiety &/or panic disorder
- Difficulty sleeping &/or sleeping problems
- Disturbing dreams &/or nightmares
- Problems with phobias, or increase in the severity of existing phobias
- Repeated unplanned pregnancies with additional abortions
- Repeated unplanned pregnancies carried to term
- “Atonement marriage,” where the woman marries the partner from the abortion, to help justify the abortion
- Distress at the sight of or socializing with other pregnant women, other people’s babies and children
- Codependence and inability to make decisions easily
- Problems with severe and disproportionate anger
- Distress and problems with a later pregnancy
- Added emotional issues and problems when dealing with future infertility or other physical complications resulting from the abortion
- Unhealthy obsession with excelling at work or school, to justify the abortion
- Obsessive Pro-life or Pro-choice activism
I believe I am experiencing PASS. How can I find help?
Contact us using the form below.
Abortion can cause lasting emotional and psychological repercussions. If you or someone you know has had an abortion and needs to talk with someone who understands, we are here for you. MyChoice Clinic partners with SRT Services (Sexually Related Trauma Services) and their free program AbAnon (Abortions Anonymous). The purpose of AbAnon is to provide awareness regarding the emotional harm caused by abortion and to provide a path to healing for those affected.
- An initial one-on-one conversation with a trained advocate to help identify specific needs and next steps
- Quarterly confidential small groups
- Separate recovery groups for men and women
- Support in identifying feelings surrounding an abortion
AbAnon’s services are free to those in need of healing and recovery from the pain and emotional impact caused by abortion. For more information email visit srtservices.org.
Additional Post Abortion Resources: